Assignment #1, Submission #1: Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Justin Lim Yong Shiuan, a student from your effective communication class. The purpose of this letter is to allow you to have a better understanding of who I am.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic, with a diploma in architecture in 2019. I found myself leaning towards the technical side of the built environment, such as the construction process and planning. Therefore, it sparked my interest to pursue civil engineering at SIT as the modules cover my interests. 

One of my communication strengths is that I am an active listener. I feel that active listening increases my understanding of the situation which further engages me to communicate with people. As I was the President of wakeboarding back in Singapore Polytechnic, I had to select the next batch of committee members for the club. Active listening allowed me to further engage with the applicants, allowing me to understand them better for the new committee.

One of my communication weaknesses would be having hesitations and the use of wimpy words. Whenever I get nervous during my presentation, I would start to hesitate and use words such as "um" or "er" before continuing with my speech. Hence, this shortcoming hinders me from speaking confidently during presentations.

Through this module, I hope to be able to speak confidently during presentations and speak proper English. As I grew up in Singapore, I might have confused certain phrases or pronunciations as I am used to speaking in Singlish. Hence, I hope that I can learn proper English during presentations from this module.

To end off the letter, what makes me different from others is my ability and willingness to learn. I appreciate that people point out my mistakes as it allows me to improve or change them. I hope this letter has given you further insight into who I am and I look forward to your module for the rest of the trimester.

Yours sincerely,

Justin Lim

Commented on:

Ian

Yumeme

Gabriel

Comments

  1. Hi Justin,

    It was a delight reading your letter as it was very clear, concise and complete. Not only that, your letter had a good flow to it as you started each paragraph with a clear main point. I look forward to reading more posts from you.

    See you next week.


    Cheers!

    Ian Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ian,

      Thank you for the compliments and taking the time to read my letter. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I look forward to interacting with you further in class.

      Best regards,
      Justin Lim

      Delete
  2. Dear Justin,

    I like how clear and detailed your letter is. Overall, the content of your letter is well organised and well explained. This made it easy for me to understand the message that you have expressed in your letter. I look forward to seeing you in class!

    Best regards,
    Yumeme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yumeme,

      Thank you for your feedback regarding my letter. Glad to hear that my letter has allowed you to understand my message easily. I look forward to seeing you in class as well!

      Best regards,
      Justin Lim

      Delete
  3. Dear Justin,

    Your letter is clear and concised in describing yourself and I find myself to be able to relate to some of your traits. One of which would be the tendency to say "um" and "er" when I get nervous during presentations as well. It is good to see that you will be putting in the effort to try and speak properly as well and I would like to join you in your endeavor in that too. Let's work hard together in improving ourselves and I hope to learning from you as well.

    Best Regards,
    Thomas Ong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thomas,

      I appreciate you taking the time to read my letter and giving feedback. It is nice to know that someone is able to relate to my weakness. Let us strive together to overcome this weakness together!

      Best regards,
      Justin Lim

      Delete
  4. Dear Justin,

    I really enjoyed reading your letter as it is very detailed and clear. It truly shows the essence and link of the content from each paragraph to the other, allowing your readers to fully understand everything about you and the curiosity to want to know more in the next paragraph. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next craft!

    With regards,
    Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gabriel,

      Thank you for the detailed feedback. I am glad that you have enjoyed reading my letter. I hope my next craft would be able to captivate you again!

      Best regards.
      Justin Lim

      Delete
  5. Hi Justin,

    I enjoyed reading your comprehensive and coherent letter. It brings about great familiarity reading about your switch from architecture to civil engineering, as I made that same decision when choosing my diploma specialization. I hope that both our choices will pay off in years to come.

    I noticed a slight punctuation error in the sentence "I hope this letter has given you further insight into who I am and I look forward to your module for the rest of the trimester.". As the conjunction and is used to connect two independent clauses, a comma should be added like this ",and" before the "and".

    I am glad to know you better through this letter and anticipate the great strides you will take in this module.

    Best regards,
    Wang Zhe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wang Zhe,

      Thank you for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed reading my letter!

      Best regards,
      Justin Lim

      Delete
  6. Dear Justin,

    Thank you for this clearly articulated and informative letter. You do a fine job covering the scope of the assignment while detailing your educational background, your "ability and willingness to learn" and the connection you make between your interests and communication skills.

    This reflection also flows well and is accurate in terms of language use. It's real a pleasure to read.
    Just note that there is no need to cap th word president unless it is a proper noun (i.e., President Justin).

    I look forward to more communication from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and giving feedback. I will amend my letter according. I look forward to communicating with in class!

      Best regards,
      Justin Lim

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts